Fred Smith was a visionary. Before anyone else, he saw the need for expedited and overnight delivery of consumer goods using air transport. His company was first to market these services, and today FedEx is the world’s largest courier transportation company. The concept was simple, the execution was somewhat risky, but the need was compelling.
Smith was guided by industrialist Henry Kaiser’s immortal advice for would-be entrepreneurs: “Find a need and fill it.”
Today, hundreds of businesses from fast food restaurants to jiffy oil changes and Uber rides exist because someone identified a need and took action to meet that need. Many of these new businesses are showing up online rather than in traditional brick and mortar settings.
Entrepreneur magazine recently highlighted steps budding entrepreneurs can take to launch a successful new business:
• To boost your chances of success, start with a market. The trick is to find a group of people who are searching for a solution to a problem, but not finding many results. The internet makes this kind of market research easy:
• Visit online forums to see what questions people ask and what problems they’re trying to solve.
• Do keyword research to find keywords that a lot of people are searching, but for which not many sites are competing.
• Check out your potential competitors by visiting their sites and taking note of what they’re doing to fill the demand.
• Write copy that sells. There’s a proven sales copy formula that takes visitors through the selling process from the moment they arrive to the moment they make a purchase. Arouse interest with a compelling headline. Describe the problem your product solves. Establish your credibility as a solver of this problem. Enlist help from a professional copywriter to get your message across.
• Develop a website. Once you’ve got your market and product, and you’ve nailed down your selling process, now you’re ready for your website. Remember to keep it simple. You have fewer than five seconds to grab someone’s attention–otherwise they’re gone, never to be seen again. Find a reliable website developer who understands how to market your business online and promote our brand’s goals.
• Use search engines to drive targeted buyers to your site. Local-search SEO programs and pay-per-click advertising are two easy ways to get traffic to a brand-new site. By installing Google Analytics on your website, you can test different keywords, as well as headlines, prices and selling approaches. Then you can distribute the keywords throughout your site in your copy and code, which will help your rankings in organic search results.
• Finally, establish an expert reputation for yourself. People use the internet to find information. Provide that information for free to other sites, and you’ll see more traffic and better search engine rankings. The secret is to always include a link to your site with each tidbit of information.
Need help with marketing, copywriting, website development, SEO or reputation management? That’s where the assistance of experts at a good marketing firm can really kick off your new business goals.
Spotlight Creative. Marketing Experts.